BTI is committed to the highest ethical and professional standards, and fosters a culture of integrity and accountability. We promote high standards in research, fair employment, and prudent financial practices. We expand on these commitments by supporting our employees’ families, our local community and the environment we live in.
This document states our ethical principles and the practices that support them. Relevant policies and procedures are detailed in the PDF version of this statement are listed on the BTI web site. Ethical principles are intended to be integrated into the daily activities and decisions of BTI employees.
The principles we live by
- Research Standards and Practices. BTI researchers will conduct, discuss, manage, judge, document and report science honestly and thoroughly. Conflicts of interest, when they arise, will be dealt with ethically and objectively. BTI promotes scientific rigor, constructive criticism, and scholarly debate.
- Financial Management. BTI management and staff will act as judicious stewards of public and private resources; aspire towards full, fair and accurate disclosure of financial transactions; and refrain from engaging in practices or agreements that represent or have the appearance of conflicts of interest.
- Employment Policies. BTI values the knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of our employees. To this end, we strive to create an environment that fosters mutual respect, trust, and professional development, that rewards commitment and performance, and that is responsive to the needs of our employees and their families.
- Environmental Stewardship. Minimizing our environmental impact, and fostering research that may contribute more broadly to sustainability, are core principles of the institute. BTI therefore supports and encourages research that will lead to improved human health or sustainable agricultural practices, and protect environmental quality.
- Community Citizenship. BTI serves the local community as an employer, and believes in paying a living wage, offering competitive benefits, and being family- friendly. In addition, BTI sponsors education, outreach and other community activities that are in keeping with its mission. BTI thrives as a member of the Ithaca and Cornell communities, and seeks to enrich them in turn.
Our principles of ethical conduct are supported by policies and programs, some of which are listed below.
Research standards and practices
- Laboratory Research Records Policy
- Scientific Ethics Education
- Postgraduate Society
- Research Oversight Committee
- Conflict of Interest Policy
- Stewardship of sponsored research grants and contracts (to be developed)
- Patent Policy
- Independent audit
- Finance and Audit Committees
Employment policies and practices
- Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
- Workplace Safety Policies
- Family Friendly Benefits
- Tuition Reimbursement Plan
- Wellness Programs
- Brooks-Colavito Award
- Bogorad Award
- Performance Excellence Awards
Environment and community
- Educational Outreach Program
- Recycling Program
- Volunteer Day
- Local event sponsorships
- Social activities
- PDF version of this statement
(PDF; 88 KB)